IPv6 timeserver
Naveen Singh
2015-09-01 05:41:59 UTC
Hi All
It looks like connman's NTP implementation only support IPv4 timeserver. We
have found that if we get an IPv6 address as the time server , sendto
function in send_packet function fails. Here is the log that we see from
devices with an IPv6 timeserver address:

We get to see following errors when the timeserver is an IPv6 address:

daemon.err connmand[386]: Time request for server 2001:4860:4802:32::f
failed (13/Permission denied).

Is there a plan to support an IPv6 timeserver? We can provide a patch for
this.

Regards
Naveen
Naveen Singh
2015-09-01 05:49:18 UTC
Hi
Further to my first question, I see that even if we getting multiple time
servers (as a part of DHCP ACK) options, we move to the second server only
if the first one fails to resolve or is not reachable. Should not we be
looking into other time server in case the first one fails because the
first one is an IPv6 address?

Regards
Naveen
Naveen
Patrik Flykt
2015-09-01 08:05:56 UTC
Post by Naveen Singh
Further to my first question, I see that even if we getting multiple time
servers (as a part of DHCP ACK) options, we move to the second server only
if the first one fails to resolve or is not reachable. Should not we be
looking into other time server in case the first one fails because the
first one is an IPv6 address?
See the reply to the previous mail; IPv6 timeserver addresses are
supposed to be supported.

Cheers,

Patrik
Naveen Singh
2015-09-23 23:43:23 UTC
Post by Naveen Singh
if the first one fails to resolve or is not reachable. Should not we be
looking into other time server in case the first one fails because the
first one is an IPv6 address?
See the reply to the previous mail; IPv6 timeserver addresses are
supposed to be supported.
I have a patch out today for this. The code uses data structures for socket
which are good for IPv4 only (for example struct sockaddr_in) and family
has been assumed to be AF_INET.
Post by Patrik Flykt
Cheers,
Patrik
Patrik Flykt
2015-09-01 08:04:55 UTC
Post by Naveen Singh
It looks like connman's NTP implementation only support IPv4 timeserver. We
have found that if we get an IPv6 address as the time server , sendto
function in send_packet function fails. Here is the log that we see from
daemon.err connmand[386]: Time request for server 2001:4860:4802:32::f
failed (13/Permission denied).
Is there a plan to support an IPv6 timeserver? We can provide a patch for
this.
Please send a sensible patch for this. We're supposed to support any
timeservers, no matter if they are IPv4 or IPv6.

Cheers,

Patrik