Can connman send local hostname on dhcp request?
Bert Haverkamp
2015-09-21 19:34:32 UTC
Dear all,

I'm struggling to find an answer to this question.
I am running a raspberry with osmc, a distro that includes connman for
managing the connection.
I would like to have the hostname be sent in the dhcp request, so my
local dns can be updated.
This does not seem to work, but I don't know if it is not implemented in
connman, or if I am missing a configuration.
The only thing I can find is the option AllowHostnameUpdates, but this
is for hostname updates from the dhcp-server to the client, while I am
looking for the opposite.

My question therefore is: Do I overlook something, is it possible to
send the hostname in connman? If so, how do I enable this?

Kind regards,

Bert
Patrik Flykt
2015-09-22 06:03:29 UTC
Hi,
Post by Bert Haverkamp
I'm struggling to find an answer to this question.
I am running a raspberry with osmc, a distro that includes connman for
managing the connection.
I would like to have the hostname be sent in the dhcp request, so my
local dns can be updated.
This does not seem to work, but I don't know if it is not implemented in
connman, or if I am missing a configuration.
The only thing I can find is the option AllowHostnameUpdates, but this
is for hostname updates from the dhcp-server to the client, while I am
looking for the opposite.
My question therefore is: Do I overlook something, is it possible to
send the hostname in connman? If so, how do I enable this?
ConnMan already sends the system hostname in its DHCP client messages,
so this is handled automatically. The host name is fetched in
plugins/loopback.c. If the DHCP based dns name setting does not work,
please check the DHCP server configuration and/or ask the server
administrator if there are restrictions on which hostnames to accept or
if your machine is allowed to have its name updated in dns etc.

But according to the mail from Daniel Wagner on Friday, not all DHCP
servers will provide an IP address lease if the host name is sent...

Cheers,

Patrik