Broadcom's proprietary wl driver detected as ethernet
Kalle Valo
2010-10-14 17:25:17 UTC

I noticed that with the latest connman git version Broadcom's
proprietary wl driver is detected as an ethernet device, not a wifi
device. This was working few weeks back and my main suspect is the udev
removal.
Kalle Valo
Samuel Ortiz
2010-10-14 22:51:51 UTC
Hi Kalle,
Post by Kalle Valo
Hi,
I noticed that with the latest connman git version Broadcom's
proprietary wl driver is detected as an ethernet device, not a wifi
device. This was working few weeks back and my main suspect is the udev
removal.
Could you please pull the latest ConnMan bits and check if it's working with
the wl crap^Wdriver ?

Cheers,
Samuel.
--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre
http://oss.intel.com/
Kalle Valo
2010-10-15 06:45:27 UTC
Post by Samuel Ortiz
Hi Kalle,
Hi Samuel,
Post by Samuel Ortiz
Post by Kalle Valo
I noticed that with the latest connman git version Broadcom's
proprietary wl driver is detected as an ethernet device, not a wifi
device. This was working few weeks back and my main suspect is the udev
removal.
Could you please pull the latest ConnMan bits and check if it's working with
the wl crap^Wdriver ?
Yes, it's working now. Thanks a lot for fixing this.
Kalle Valo
Marcel Holtmann
2010-10-15 07:17:24 UTC
Hi Samuel,
Post by Samuel Ortiz
Post by Kalle Valo
I noticed that with the latest connman git version Broadcom's
proprietary wl driver is detected as an ethernet device, not a wifi
device. This was working few weeks back and my main suspect is the udev
removal.
Could you please pull the latest ConnMan bits and check if it's working with
the wl crap^Wdriver ?
the wireless directory inside the network sysfs object can be not
compiled in btw. Just some funny side notes here.

However can you please add a big connman_error() in the code if the
uevent DEVTYPE=wlan is missing and wireless directory is present. I
wanna warn about this stupid binary only drivers.

Regards

Marcel
Samuel Ortiz
2010-10-15 11:02:57 UTC
Hi Marcel,
Post by Kalle Valo
Hi Samuel,
Post by Samuel Ortiz
Post by Kalle Valo
I noticed that with the latest connman git version Broadcom's
proprietary wl driver is detected as an ethernet device, not a wifi
device. This was working few weeks back and my main suspect is the udev
removal.
Could you please pull the latest ConnMan bits and check if it's working with
the wl crap^Wdriver ?
the wireless directory inside the network sysfs object can be not
compiled in btw. Just some funny side notes here.
Yes, I'm aware of that. If DEVTYPE is not set, I also thought about checking
for SIOCGIWNAME in order to check for wext support. Would you prefer that
solution ?

Cheers,
Samuel.
--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre
http://oss.intel.com/
Marcel Holtmann
2010-10-15 12:15:41 UTC
Hi Samuel,
Post by Samuel Ortiz
Post by Marcel Holtmann
Post by Samuel Ortiz
Post by Kalle Valo
I noticed that with the latest connman git version Broadcom's
proprietary wl driver is detected as an ethernet device, not a wifi
device. This was working few weeks back and my main suspect is the udev
removal.
Could you please pull the latest ConnMan bits and check if it's working with
the wl crap^Wdriver ?
the wireless directory inside the network sysfs object can be not
compiled in btw. Just some funny side notes here.
Yes, I'm aware of that. If DEVTYPE is not set, I also thought about checking
for SIOCGIWNAME in order to check for wext support. Would you prefer that
solution ?
I am fine either way. I just want ConnMan complaining if wireless
directory exists and no DEVTYPE. So we have an error in the logs.

Regards

Marcel

Raghavendra. S
2010-10-15 00:03:21 UTC
I noticed that with the latest connman git version Broadcom's
proprietary wl driver is detected as an ethernet device, not a wifi
device. This was working few weeks back and my main suspect is the udev
removal.

[Raghu]: I too met with this some time back. Assuming you enbled wifi during
compilation, following was the issue in my case.
When I killed connman. for some reason plugins directory
(/usr/lib/connman/plugins/*) was getting deleted. So next time when I
started connman it started without throwing any error. Because of
this connman detected wifi interface as ethernet interface and all wifi
functionalities were disabled for the interface.

So you better check once whether you have /usr/lib/connman/plugins/*.
Otherwise reinstall and try.

Kalle Valo
Kalle Valo
2010-10-15 06:46:54 UTC
Post by Raghavendra. S
[Raghu]: I too met with this some time back. Assuming you enbled wifi
during compilation, following was the issue in my case. When I killed
connman. for some reason plugins directory (/usr/lib/connman/
plugins/*) was getting deleted. So next time when I started connman it
started without throwing any error. Because of this connman detected
wifi interface as ethernet interface and all wifi functionalities were
disabled for the interface.
So you better check once whether you have /usr/lib/connman/plugins/*.
Otherwise reinstall and try.
Thanks but this wasn't the issue because wifi was working with an usb
stick using ar9170.
--
Kalle Valo